Sunday, September 1, 2013

To BLEED or not to BLEED


Years ago we washed our fabrics in cold water adding a cup of salt to a tub of cold water, some even gave vinegar a try. Sometimes the home made solutions work other times the outcome was not what we expected.


With evolution came the Color Catchers. a product made by Shout. Looking familiar to a dryer sheet you simply add it to your wash. The sheet attracts the free dye molecules and they adhere to the sheet. I have noted on a really poor dye I would repeat this twice, I had a quilt all put together and decided to wash it, something I rarely do before sending it out the door. I was horrified, but I had those Color Catchers on hand, while the quilt was still damp I thought it back into the washer and I used 23 color catchers. Both came out red and I mean red. but the quilt was fine. Previously the red had bled into the white fabric that joined it in the quilt top, I was lucky and for me it worked


http://www.shoutitout.com/en-US/Products/Pages/shout-color-catcher.aspx



Now lets look at this are you up for the challenge? Pretty economical and does the same thing apparently. I will give it a try when I finished with the ones that I purchased

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/08/make-your-own-laundry-color-catchers.html

Others have found products like Retayne tooted as a fabric fixative.

http://www.joann.com/retayne-color-fixative-solution-4-ounce/prd56691/


I am sure there are other products out there. These are two that keep appearing on online searches and when you are on a time clock you need something fast and something that will work for you. Luckily I have decided to try not to use too much red or at least wash the dickens out of it before I sew it up.

Don't be shy to leave your comments below if you know of other products

No comments:

Post a Comment