Saturday, September 28, 2013

Robotic Helpers



From time to time there is some question of what type of an automated system can I use with my Bailey. There are several out in the " Marketplace" but only one maker that will work with the Bailey.

PC Quilter

http://www.pcquilter.com

Now there are two versions of the PC quilter. The older of the two is the Carriage Robotic system which is controlled by your home computer The computer software controls the pressure gauge on the foot pedal which starts the machine to stitch. The carriage itself is also controlled by the PC quilter program which swings your carriage to and fro to complete the pattern. Through the computer program you can resize, flip , rotate, repeat and digitalize patterns. But I won't bore you the website above will offer their insight into the product they make

The pc quilter side mount
http://www.pcquilter.com/longarm.htm



This is really the optimum unit that allows you to use the robotic quilter and has the ability to push a larger machine using a motorized side mount. Because of it's size it allows you more travel in the larger quilting area compared to the unit above. The side mount is just that a system that attaches to your current carriage and when not needed it can easily be removed. Where as the PC quilter has it's own carriage ( pictured above) and you would want to swap it out it for your original carriage and handles if you want to free motion

Competitors may tell you that the Bailey will probably work with their system. Be very careful, I have not to date found any other system that has proven to be compatible. I do own the PC quilter that I quite like and works with my Bailey< I was lucky enough to purchase an older model for a cheap price and it does accommodate my Bailey. I do not get the larger quilting surface because of the model I have but it is a trade off for the benefits. I have had no problems with tension or broken threads since acquiring this equipment. I am not trying to tell you to purchase such an add- on but I did think it important that I reveal the info to you so that you are aware what is compatible with your machine.

And the next question is.... Where do you get patterns to use with the PC quilter
The pc quilter website has a user password secure website that you can download patterns. Digital patterns are easily purchased through auto downloads via their webpages and he prices vary. Last but not least the PC quilter yahoo group has a large number of archived files free for download.

If this is what you are interested in , keep your eyes opened I found mine for $100 on a community " for sale" website. One never knows!

2 comments:

  1. What website did you use, I can't find any for used pc quilter.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best place to find PC quilters that are used is the Yahoo PC quilter group, There are often machine posted for sale. I have the older model that is carriage type. Some fellow Bailey owners have had the sidemount. If you are considering using a PC quilter with a Bailey you might be lucky and find someone who has one that is already tethered to a Bailey so that you will have some assistance for set up, You might also put a request for a used PC quilter for your Bailey in the Bailey Yahoo site, I know of one lady that was going to sell hers but has not listed it yet as fare as I know. If you are in the maket for one see if someone near you owns one so that you can see it in action and get some tutoring, I found that it was not hard to operate and very pleased with the set up I have,however I am not familiar with the sidemount and how the bailey works with that, Good Luck

    ReplyDelete